Most apartments, town homes and even homes have at least one small bathroom. It quickly becomes a pain in many homes to the homeowner. Quite often these do not have a window, so perception of a bigger room is the key and starts with the colour palate of the room.
So, to make a small bathroom look bigger, you might consider these instructions below:
Things you will need: Paint, Compact fluorescent bulbs, Pedestal sink, Light-colored tile, Area rug, Mirrors and also Glass shelving.
- In order to make your small bathroom look bigger, a light color would be an ideal choice for the walls. A modest pattern could be considered, it may even make the room look larger than painted solid walls. This may be achieved by simply using patterned wallpaper or a faux finish. The pattern must be slightly darker and the background should be very light.
- The ceiling of your small bathroom will brighten up the room by being given a fresh coat of white paint. Especially if the ceiling was previously a color, by doing so will add an airy feel.
- All trim should be painted with white. Height to the room could be added by adding a white crown molding, adding to the feeling of making your small bathroom look larger.
- An added skylight, will make a big difference in your small bathroom, so may to be considered as an option. Removing curtains will add to the impression of larger.
- It is recommended that you to replace light bulbs with CFL versions, which provide natural, bright light to any room and best of all, they are energy efficient.
- Recessed lighting should also be considered and light fixtures that jut out into the room should be eliminated.
- To make a small bathroom look bigger, light-colored flooring should be used. However, one area rug that fills most of the space that is a light color could also be used if you have a dark floor and cannot afford to replace it.
- If you will add tile, a medium-size tile square at 6 inches or 8 inches or even larger would be a better choice. A tiny tile will actually make the room look narrow. A simple, straight tile pattern is ideal, or even a plain tile would be acceptable.
Cabinets and Fixtures
- As eliminating the cabinet will make your bathroom look bigger, if its possible, consider using a pedestal sink. Or maybe you could paint dark cabinets white if you cannot afford to change your current cabinets.
- Any wall cabinets should be recessed, if you cannot manage that, simply eliminate them. As for shelving and for your shower door, it is better to use glass or even a clear shower curtain as replacement.
- Reflecting the light will make your small room look bigger, so it is important to add mirror. Two or three big mirror should be considered.